Happy Halloween!

Discussion about the WoD
Agata
Developer

Re: Happy Halloween!

Post by Agata » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:54 am

how many candies did you get?
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:11 am

The boss dropped like 55k gold and like 20 of each candy.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:21 am

I know, there are limitations on the loot drop routines, they were designed to be "idiot proof", (read as "to prevent an idiot dev from creating a monster with a ridiculously high loot drop"), I will have to rewrite them to allow more.

But I wasn't asking about the boss' drops, but the overall candy you got from the champ spawn. As I have mentioned, that can be sold, I think for 27 gold a piece.

As for the difficulty, is it easier than previous champion spawns?

Forseti
Upstanding
Upstanding

Post by Forseti » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm

That was my first time completing a champion spawn, so I do not have much basis for comparison, but I know the monsters that spawned at the end would make it quite a challenge. I was trying to do my part, kiting around six or seven shades or shadow dragons, taking a whack at them when I could, praying they didn't entrap me as that would mean certain death. The setting of the battle was awesome. So many scenes for the battle to take place, and room to high tail it to safety and recover on a campfire when need be. Were it not for a funny man.. well sort of a man.. running around screaming these funny words, it would not have been completed :) Was great fun and I'm glad I got some candy! If anybody wants some I saved extra!

Mack
Reputable
Reputable

Post by Mack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:26 pm

I think most of us got around 100-200 pieces of candy but instead of selling them are saving them for decorative purposes.... or to lure children to our house if we are a hungry witch.

As far as difficulty I would put it a step below the abyss spawn but that isn't saying much since abyss is so hard. The problem is that it had so many casters and casters that liked to summon elementals and demons at that. In general I think champ spawns are designed for 12-15 people which given our small server size isn't happening so instead we wind up abusing the heck out of necro spells or maybe druid spells but we have not had a druid come to one so far.

edit: So far I find champion spawns a fun challenge but from a non fun/min max perspective I question how worth they are doing. I only find them even remotely worthwhile if you kill the boss but once you account for splitting loot among 5+ or if we didn't abuse necro spells 12+ I would be better off soloing. Perhaps adding some non magic/non gold loot such as special decorations would make it feel more worth it? This would prevent balance issues/high end magics coming into the market at a more rapid rate.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 pm

I have yet to implement several things on the champion spawn. There is supposed to be a "gold coin rain" after the champion dies. Also there should be some special rewards. Also the amount of monsters spawned should be more, and in a wider area (currently they spawn on a 20 tile radius from the altar).

As for necro abusing, in my years doing champion spawns, I observed necros were prevalent and almost a requirement, sometimes even able to solo to the end. It's no surprise for me to see the same trend here.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 am

Yeah the necro spells arnt a wod thing but a uo thing in general, they are designed to do mass damage to a lot of enemies. We really suck at high end bosses though, not that we can't damage them but the means don't meet the ends (to many regs used, not enough reward). But I agree with mack, a step below abyss and a necro present is a must. Even with 10 fighters I doubt you could make it to the end of any of the champs. And I do remember you saying a long time ago there was supposed to be some special drops. Chala has one of them, a dragon slaying +15 Macefighting war axe of desty, that one was supposed to be for rikktor.