Indestructable harvestable reagents and veg

datus
Notable
Notable

Indestructable harvestable reagents and veg

Post by datus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Hello all,

One thing I've grown used to on some of the free shards I used to frequent was having patches of harvestable regs hidden about world. It's always exciting to stumble upon a small field of regs you can pick (and that aren't destructible like player placed plants). Not sure if this exists here?

Other harvestable plants would be nice too, like a public garden type thing. I know we can plant them (not sure about regs though) which is amazing, but I always worry about them being destroyed, either on purpose or accidentally.

Apple trees, or other fruit trees scattered around Britain would be nice as well. So we can feed our pets, etc.

Ok thanks!

gemini
Honorable
Honorable

Re: Indestructable harvestable reagents and veg

Post by gemini » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:27 pm

yeah a shard I played at I grew lots of plants for my custom house it was fun
I am so taken and accepted among brothers and fellows.

Sidra
Notable
Notable

Post by Sidra » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:51 pm

I agree with Datus' suggestion and further it by saying having them drop in loot would be nice, too. We get potions, scrolls, weapons, armor, even the occasional lemon, but not regs. I'm all for his idea.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:31 am

Spell casters do drop regs. You can also find quite a bit of regs in locked chests. But as far as growing regs to be able to pick them Agata already knows im for this idea, hehe.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Actually, the reagents can be found raw in several dungeons. You need Alchemy skill to process them and make them suitable for spellcasting and other uses. The original idea was having the raw reagents for making the druid runes. It was some kind of personal quest for druids. Making the harvestable raw reagents available for players to place them at their home or farmlands would devaluate that quest.
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:34 am

Well I guess that puts an end to that lol.

datus
Notable
Notable

Post by datus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Agata wrote:Actually, the reagents can be found raw in several dungeons. You need Alchemy skill to process them and make them suitable for spellcasting and other uses. The original idea was having the raw reagents for making the druid runes. It was some kind of personal quest for druids. Making the harvestable raw reagents available for players to place them at their home or farmlands would devaluate that quest.
You could create unique items specific to that quest, reserving the raw regs for players with the required lumberjacking and alchemy to harvest and process them.

Rather than allowing players to plant their own with seeds, reg gardens could be placed and maintained by staff members, in specific (less deadly) areas.

I've been finding it extremely difficult to find regs as a fledgling mage/alchemist - having to buy them. I spend more gold than I can make.

Anyway just my 2c.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Being a mage has never been cheap anywhere, it's an expensive class by definition. Even with harvestable reagents, you get nightshade, mandrake root, garlic and ginseng. You have to buy the black pearl, sulfurous ash, spider silk and blood moss anyways.

Considering there are several players asking for this already, I will have to plan something. As for creating specific items to the druid rune creations, that is no small task, it requires planning. Anyways, I have the Druid Revamping in the backburner, it includes the Spellweaving spells, and obviously the spellbook. It won't be in anytime soon. For now, if you are a mage and feel like it's too expensive, train macefighting, tactics and parry and use that, or create a warrior character. Being a mage is a privilege reserved for those who can afford it.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:17 pm

I was also saying a nice alternative is make another character and make them a lumberjack and have your mage be a scribe and then with the lumberjack you can turn all your hides into blank scrolls for free and the scribe can make them into any scroll you already have in your spell book so you don't need regs for the spells you use all the time, eventually you will need to get scrolls anyways to progress as a mage just so there is no delay in your casting.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 am

That might sound like a good idea, but training your lumberjacking requires either gold, or lots of jobbing, and you need leather for crafting the scrolls. Regular hides have a very high fail rate even at 120 lumberjacking (50% fail rate). The decent ones are troll hides, so you will need a character good enough to kill a good amount of trolls with little expenses.

If you are a mage, it's going to cost you plenty of gold, but you will also have the possibilities of making lots more gold than what you spend.