Tresture Maps Suposed to be Locked?

Discussion about the WoD
Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Tresture Maps Suposed to be Locked?

Post by Chala » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 pm

I was doing a few treasure maps yesterday with my buddy Kir and noticed a few of the chests after we "popped" them to get the monsters out they were locked afterwards. Are these chests supposed to lock sometimes once the monsters are released? I was under the impression that only MIBs were supposed to be locked and treasure chests were supposed to have guardians as their "lock".

Agata
Developer

Re: Tresture Maps Suposed to be Locked?

Post by Agata » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 pm

It has always been that way, 1 of every 4 treasure chests is locked. The harder treasure maps require higher lockpicking to open the chests whenever they are locked.
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Ahh, never did treasure maps here, so not sure how it is supposed to be. Only ever did them on valhalla lost and they were never locked there. Should the locked ones be able to be picked up and carried around then to take them to a lock picker like MIBs? Seems kinda unfair that you would go all the way out there kill all the monsters in a ragged map chest and then not be able to open them so you just have to leave the chest out there... And what is the decay time on those chests?

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 pm

They decay in 30 minutes.

And no, there are good reasons for having them "stuck" on the ground. Think of it... taking the treasure away, then opening it somewhere with guards... that's not right.

I could make it so the chest is unstuck once the guardians are spawned, but then we would have players just getting the chest and recalling out, leaving the guardians there.

Treasure maps aren't MIBs. I'd prefer to keep them different from each other. If you want to do treasure maps, bring a locksmith to the spot.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I would like it if they could be grabbed once the monsters are spawned. I understand the hazards of making them unlock after popping them, but people can and will (have seen it on other shards) do the same type of thing by just luring the monsters away looting the chest and then recalling out. I find this silly because half of the goodies are on the monsters, lol. If its possible you could make it like valhalla lost were the monsters are assigned to who ever pops the chest and if you run away from them for to long (over 5 mins i would think fair) they would automatically spawn on top of you and keep doing it until you kill them all.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:10 pm

So, you mean if you die and then revive and start re-equipping yourself to try to tackle them again, they will teleport on top of you right at Britain Bank or something?

Sorry if I sound too negative, but that's my job as a game designer. I will always butcher change request you throw at me. If it survives my butchering, then I might consider implementing it. Currently I don't find the treasure map system as broken, so I don't want to break it. Any request for changes will be subject to severe criticism and butchering just to ensure it won't break what is working nicely.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Sorry its been a while since i played at Valhalla but now that i remember it wasn't a timed thing, it was the next time you tried to do a treasure map. So if you popped a chest and drug all the monsters away and looted the chest then tried to do another map as long as any of those monsters were still alive there would be a message above your head "The chest guardians have found you" or something like that and then they would tele on you. But they wouldn't do it until you tried to use a shovel on another map. I liked that system actually because as a bard some times when you put casters against casters they would run 3-4 screens away and you just couldn't find them again, and its not safe for new players to leave a black wisp or a blood lich running around so i would grab a new map click on it to get the monsters i missed to come back to me. And i understand your hyper-criticism as the game designer you need to look at everything from every angle. I dont want you to think im a negative person for all the post and ideas i have been putting up, they are just ideas that i think are interested and i think it would be cool to see what your response on some of them would be and see if i can get any of them implemented.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Hmm... that's more interesting, I can make it so when you use a shovel on a map AND it would start digging it, the guardians would be teleported to you and interrupt the digging. This way, if you are too far away from the location of the treasure spot, the guardians wouldn't be summoned, that prevents players from summoning the guardians in a guarded area.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm

That sounds even better, but that way even without the chests being unlocked it made it to were if you were going to leave the monsters running around to kill some unsuspecting player that all you could do was 1 map and after that the monsters would spawn on you any time you tried to do another.

Azzo_Ranar
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Azzo_Ranar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes it was common to find where someone had dug up a treasure and led them off away from the spot to sneak back and loot it without killing them.. nothing like finding 3 or 4 dragons... or a bevy of undead nasties just wandering around. I think with a little investigating by a DM or two they can discover who leaves them behind and rectify it.