Sailing time.

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Sailing time.

Post by Chala » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 am

I have noticed here that when you go to a captain and say sail, when you start to sail it takes a long time to get to your destination, this is a major deterrent to using this method of transportation, I would like to see the time cut down on sailing so it might be more efficient to use. I personally avoid this method of travel any time i can, just so it dosnt take so long.

Azzo_Ranar
Admirable
Admirable

Re: Sailing time.

Post by Azzo_Ranar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03 pm

I have sailed many times, when you say it takes a long time, I am guessing it is not as fast as recall? Well that's because it is not recall or gate... it's a ship, they sail... they are not instant. If you want faster travel learn to cast recall, mark runes and don't take the ship. :)

Azzo_Ranar
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Azzo_Ranar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:49 pm

I am timing the sailing times, and I am starting the timer at the moment I click the gump asking if I want to pay "sail" and stopping it at the moment I hit the docks.
Brit to Skara, 1:03
Skara to Glow 1:03
Glow to new Magencia 1:03
Magencia to Vesper 1:03
Vesper to Ocllo 1:03
total time to sail from when you ask to when you arrive, if you are slow moving your mouse was 1:35.. Moongates are all over, even in Bucs now, there was no moongate in Bucs before not sure why there is now but with all the travel options that is not exactly horrible... Face it, you are just not as fast as a mage... if ships were instant why would anyone ride....

Chala
Commendable
Commendable

Post by Chala » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Im not asking to be instant, just never had a ship take that long to sail. But if you feel this strongly about keeping it that long, feel free.

Azzo_Ranar
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Azzo_Ranar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:12 pm

lol I can't keep or change anything alone, I was just weighing in my piece of it. It has been this way a long time, there are a lot of things that along the way I have asked to change or wondered why they work the way they do. The powers that be have through the years explained a few of them just to shut me up lol. One of them being sailing times, it was Drocket I think that came out and explained pretty much verbatim what I explained about travel times and modes of travel. Keelarr was one of the early Ranar's here and being the rough and ready fighter that he is was having a patience issue with traveling and begging for gates... he can be quite pathetic you know.. and the discussion came up and Drocket explained it thusly. I could see it cut down by 1/4 just because, but as we grow and more people are on, we won't need as many wandering healers as Serenity pointed out, and travel will be inconsequential also. The mage shops also offer gates if anyone was unaware to various dungeons. I personally will never mind giving a ride to anyone if I am on.