The reality of hosting WoD

Discussion about the WoD
Atei
Reputable
Reputable

Re: The reality of hosting WoD

Post by Atei » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Perhaps we should make part of being in the WoD community a $.99/month donation to defray costs? I don't think any of us who play would have serious heartburn about paying less than 3 cents/day to play and interact with each, at least I know I wouldn't.

Thoughts, anyone?

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
--
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749-1832

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Personally I think mandatory donations would scare new people away, and some old ones too. If they are looking for a place with friendly community and without PKs, they would go to some freeshard with Trammel ruleset implemented and where their account is created automatically upon login attempt rather than some place where they need to write an application, wait a few days and on top of that pay a monthly fee.
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.

Xanola
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Xanola » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Atei wrote:Perhaps we should make part of being in the WoD community a $.99/month donation to defray costs? I don't think any of us who play would have serious heartburn about paying less than 3 cents/day to play and interact with each, at least I know I wouldn't.

Thoughts, anyone?
I for one couldn't rummage up any money whatsoever for it in my current situation, despite the fact that I love WoD (I'm unemployed)

Atei
Reputable
Reputable

Post by Atei » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Agata brings up a valid point as does Xanola. I must learn to not assume, my friends. Those of us who want to contribute and can, will. I am personally committed to making sure that WoD does NOT go away again and am willing to put my money where my big mouth is. To me, that is the true spirit of this place anyway: we always lend a helping hand to our fellow citizens, which is what makes this place so special.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
--
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749-1832

Marcus
Notable
Notable

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:00 am

Don't want to lose you all, after only just finding, so I'm down for a few bucks a month. Just let me know what you all settle on as a fair share and I'll send that over.

Laephis
Administrator

Post by Laephis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Marcus wrote:Don't want to lose you all, after only just finding, so I'm down for a few bucks a month. Just let me know what you all settle on as a fair share and I'll send that over.
It's really a personal decision. Whatever you feel led to donate is totally fine. Right now I've received enough to cover the hosting costs for the next two months.

krull
Notable
Notable

Post by krull » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:39 pm

howdy ya'll , none of you know me, just got my app. accepted, and hopefully i'll start playing soon, if i can figure it all out.i also will be willing to help out. no problem. last shard i played on was mediveal dreams, the owner was named rocko, he patterened the shard somewhat after WOD. i know that he played there back in the day before it closed its doors. heck of a guy. really liked him. hope to see ya'll soon!

Kale Greeneye
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Kale Greeneye » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:04 am

I remember him! Im pretty sure he was also Rocks Silivan.