Q: Commune spell

Discussion about the WoD
Joram Lionheart
Admirable
Admirable

Q: Commune spell

Post by Joram Lionheart » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:54 pm

What does the commune spell actually do? The manual just says, "Speak with the Dead." Which dead? I thought the necromancy skill (Spirit Speak) already allowed you to do that. Besides, .msg makes that ability superfluous.

Edison
Prominent
Prominent

Re: Q: Commune spell

Post by Edison » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Commune and Spiritspeak do seem to be very similar, I can only see a few differences.

Commune also looks like it would let you see ghosts (regardless of whether or not they are in war mode), it also looks like you might be able to cast it on someone else. I don't see a duration anywhere but there must be one someplace, surely it isn't permanent.

As you say, with .msg there isn't really much practical use for them, probably more of a role-play thing than anything else.

Joram Lionheart
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Joram Lionheart » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Maybe the spell should let you "speak" to the UNdead. It could function like the Druid spell "Tranquility," an area-effect peacemaking spell but for undead creatures only. OR it could do the exact opposite, a one-time provocation spell. The more powerful the creature, the higher the skill check (say, a Lord of the Abyss requires 120 necromancy while a zombie requires only 60).

Laephis
Administrator

Post by Laephis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:53 am

I remember back in my OSI days during T2A/Renaissance that spirit speak was the only way to find out what a dead player was saying. It was kind of cool at the time...but could you imagine an MMORPG implementing something like that today? Kinda sad how stale the genre has become.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:05 am

From checking the scripts, Commune is cast on living player characters, it gives them the ability to see and hear ghosts.No duration specified.
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.